During this Sewing Book Club, we will be sewing three different projects from the Mini Patchwork Projects book by Beth Studley. It is available as a Hoopla eBook, using this link.
Experience using your own sewing machine is important, including threading the machine, winding a bobbin, loading the bobbin.
On September 15, we will be sewing the Hexi Needle Case. This project will encourage us to practice straight line sewing, straight line cutting, and sewing through multiple layers.
These are the materials to gather and prepare in advance of the program. See the embedded video below for tips on using a rotary cutter. (How to Use a Rotary Cutter from Sarasota County Public Libraries on Vimeo.)
- three coordinating fabric (quilting cotton is preferred):
- Fabric 1: one 1.5"x22" strip, and one 5.5" square
- Fabric 2: one 1.5"x22" strip, and one 5.5" square
- Fabric 3: one .75"x22" strip
- cotton batting, one 5.5"x11" rectangle
- Felt: one 5" square
- coordinating thread
- sewing machine with fresh needle and loaded bobbin
- rotary cutter and ruler
- turning tool (e.g., knitting needle, skinny dowel rod)
- Optional, for the button detail:
- hand sewing needle
- or know how to use the button feature on your sewing machine
This needle case will require a hexagon with 2" sides. If you would like to download the patterns for this book, they are available from the publisher at this link. The publisher requires that you create a free account, and it could take a day or two for the publisher to authorize the account. When printing templates, please be sure to print at 100% or actual size.
Note: Many of the Hoopla craft eBooks are from David and Charles, including a couple other books that we might be using in future Sewing Book Club projects.
This program will be conducted via Zoom, and the login information will be included in your registration email.
Please test your settings and explore the features of Zoom in advance of the program.
The Sarasota County Libraries has a video tutorial on how to use Zoom. View the video here!